Upon completion of this course, the dental professional should be able to:
- Understand the current scientific literature about the association between periodontal health and CVDs
- Learn how to discuss the interactions between these two conditions with patients.
- Develop knowledge of the impact of medical therapies for CVDs on periodontal status.
- Gain knowledge to allow for greater participation on teams of health care providers treating CVD patients and periodontitis.
- Learn about patient risk factors, treatment needs, and current treatment strategies.
- Discuss with patients the common risk factors and association of periodontitis and CVD.
- Discuss with colleagues effective methods for treatment of periodontal disease in patients who have CVDs.