Upon completion of this course, the dental professional should be able to:
- Describe the demographics of older adults.
- List the oral risk factors for dental disease typically impacting older adults.
- Summarize the communication skills required for working with older adults.
- Outline other risk factors for oral disease in older adults.
- Discuss the primary causes of xerostomia in older adults.
- Identify clinical findings in older adults that are likely to require attention in the course of their clinical care.
- Describe possible modifications to customary prevention approaches that may be of importance in the older patient.
- Explain the in-office maintenance techniques for intraoral prostheses.
- Discuss the appropriate home-care techniques for oral prostheses.