Upon completion of this course, the dental professional should be able to:
- Review the current data on the prevalence, severity, and therapy options for anxiety and depression.
- Identify screening tools and warning signs for anxiety and depression that can be employed by dental healthcare providers in the dental surgery.
- Understand the current evidence linking anxiety and depression and oral diseases, including caries and periodontal disease.
- Discuss mechanisms of interaction between antidepressant and anti-anxiety medication and treatment outcomes for periodontal disease and caries.
- Be prepared to work in an integrated interdisciplinary team to assess risk factors, screen, and refer patients who may be at risk for anxiety and depression.